Born in Revelstoke, Heather moved to Vancouver with her family in 1923. She graduated from UBC with her BA in 1928, and from VGH in nursing in 1930. The next year she received her BASc in nursing and the BC Government Award in Public Health Nursing. Following graduation, she was staff nurse, later supervisor at the Cowichan Health Centre. From 1937 to 1939 she attended the University of Toronto, where she was awarded a Masters in Public Health Nursing.
As BC’s first Director of Public Health Nursing, she enhanced public health through such activities as preschool immunization programs and well-baby clinics. Her monthly newsletter, Public Health Nursing, fostered collegiality and communication among nurses.
In 1945 she joined the United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration and was stationed in Greece. On her return the next year she was appointed nurse-in-charge of the Outpatient Department at Shaughnessy Hospital 1946-1971. In her retirement she continued her love of sewing, creating treasured handicrafts for family members and supported many charities.
Material provided by the BC History of Nursing Society archives